Name: _____________________________________ ID # ____________________ Section: _____
1. The heat of vaporization of water is 540 cal/g. When 10 g of water evaporates from your skin,
5400 calories are absorbed from your skin.
your skin temperature remains the same because phase changes occur at constant temperature.
Water doesn't vaporize at temperatures under 100oC.
5400 calories are transferred to your skin.
Use the following information to answer questions 2--4
2. The measure denoted by x is called
a. velocity b. amplitude c. frequency d. wavelength
3. The measure denoted by w is called
a. frequency b. wavelength c. velocity d. amplitude
4. Which of the following is trued about waves A and B?
If these were sound waves, A would sound louder.
Four complete cycles of wave A are depicted.
A travels more slowly than B.
B has a higher frequency than A.
5. The transfer of heat that occurs when energy moves from molecule to molecule is called
a. phase change b. conduction c. radiation d. convection
6. A 10 degree temperature change on the Fahrenheit scale would be equivalent to what size change on the Celsius scale?
a. 10o b. 5.6o c. 18o d. 1.8o
7. Polarized light vibrates
only in one plane.
in all planes..
in two planes at right angles to one another.
not at all.
8. In longitudinal waves, the medium
vibrates in the same direction the wave is moving.
doesn't vibrate; the disturbance just moves through the medium.
moves in sort of a circular motion.
vibrates in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the motion of the wave.
9. A neutral atom that gains one or more electrons is called a (an)
10. The frequency of radiation is
independent of the temperature of the source
directly proportional to its wavelength
inversely proportion to the velocity of the radiation
none of the above choices, a--c, is correct
11. The time that is required for a vibrating object to complete one full cycle is called
a. period b. amplitude c. frequency d. wavelength
12. Driving down the Autobahn in Germany, you notice an outdoor thermometer indicating a temperature of 28oC. What is this temperature reading on the Fahrenheit scale?
a. 60oF b. 82oF c. 108oF d. 76oF
13. Sound waves in air
14. An electric current is measured in units of
a. watts b. coulombs c. volts d. amperes
15. The unit of electrical charge is called a (an)
a. electron b. ampere c. ohm d. coulomb