COMPREHENSIVE SCIENCES PROGRAM
NAME: _________________________________________________________ I.D.# _______________________
DIRECTIONS: (1) Complete the
examination according to the instructions.
(2) Use a ball point or ink pen.
1. Correctly classify modern humans taxonomically Kingdom through species
2. Give the correct scientific genus for each of the following:
corn: _________________________ onion: _________________________
lobster: _________________________ potato: _________________________
oak: _________________________ fruit fly: _________________________
3. List three similarities shared by reptiles, birds, and mammals.
4. List the fifteen major groups of animals:
5. Give a major characteristic of each of the following:
What is a:
7. Give a major characteristic of each of the following:
8. Cite differences between monocotyledon and dicotyledon plants with respect to:
a. # of cotyledons:
b. # of petals in blossom:
c. venation patterns in leaves:
d. arrangement of vascular patterns in stems:
9. Give the scientific genus and species for
a. two bacteria: ______________________________
b. two protozoa: ______________________________
10. Cite two scientists who disproved the concepts of spontaneous generation.
a. ______________________________________ b. __________________________________
11. A.I. Oparin is credited with formulating the modern concept on the origin of life. His theory has subsequently been substantiated by scientists Stanley Milley and Sidney Fox. What are the main points in Oparin's theory?
12. What is a protobiont? How is it formed?
13. Cite two differences between how the evolution and the extinction of a species occurs.
14. Give a major idea about Lamark's Theory of Evolution.
15. Give a major idea about Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
16. Give the gist of the concept of neo-Darwinism.
17. What is the Hardy-Weinberg concept regarding the evolution of populations?
18,19. Give one outstanding characteristic or trait in each of the following that differs vastly from that in Homo sapiens
a. Australopithecus africanus:
b. Homo erectus:
c. Homo habilis:
d. Homo neanderthalensis:
a. an extinct animal life form __________________________
b. an extinct plant life form __________________________
21,22. Give an evolutionary characteristic of each of the following
a. a bacterium:
b. a protozoan:
23. list three different types of biomes and give a distinguishing characteristic of each.
24. Give an outstanding feature of the following types of symbiosis:
25. List two abiotic factors of the environment:
a. ______________________________ b. ______________________________
26. A food pyramid has three levels. Complete the table below, correctly identifying two types of organism that would occupy each level.
Level 3: _______________________, ___________________________
Level 2: _______________________, ___________________________
Level 1: _______________________, ___________________________
27. How does a food web differ from a food chain?
28. List a natural and an artificial means to control a plant population.
29. Diagram either the carbon or the nitrogen cycle
30. Describe ecological succession
31. List three characteristics of a population.
32. List two factors that contribute to the pollution of:
33. What are some current means that are used to control pollution?